Here is an article sent to us from Top Dating Sites.
10 Terrible Excuses for Being Late for a Date
Dating is a delicate and tricky business. If you’re too assertive, you’ll strike out for coming on too strong. If you’re too timid, you’ll never win the attention of your date. While those details can be very tricky, there is one thing you can do that is sure to put an end to any budding relationship: Show up late. Sometimes there’s a good reason and sometimes there isn’t. Here are 10 terrible excuses for being late for a date:
1. My Car Broke Down: This isn’t 1932. You didn’t crank up your Model T and go putting along at 20 miles per hour to meet your date. Chances are if you use this excuse you’re lying about something and your date is going to notice. This is one of the oldest and most worthless excuses in the book, and you need to find a better one if you want to talk to him or her again.
2. I Had to Run to the Store: Nothing like showing your dedication by prioritizing your weekly lottery ticket purchase over meeting your potential soul mate. The milk and eggs can wait. Find a better reason to be late to a date if you want the encounter to turn into anything meaningful.
3. Something Came Up: What does that even mean? This may not even qualify as an excuse because it is so vague that it doesn’t really say anything at all. An excuse like this is sure to start things off on the wrong foot. You’ll have to do better than that if you want to console your date.
4. I Got Stuck at the Office: OK, workaholic. If you can’t get away from the office for a few hours to meet up for a date, how will you ever maintain a relationship? If you try to use this excuse, you may as well just tell your date “my career is much more important than you.” Don’t use this excuse, even if it’s true, because it will definitely be a major turn off for your date.
5. There was a Death in the Family: This isn’t elementary school where you can fake Great Grandma’s passing multiple times to get out of turning in your homework. This is a date, and unless this excuse is true, don’t use it to explain why you’re late.
6. I Had to Call My Mom: Someone has some major issues. If Mom or Dad can’t hold on until after the date, there may be some major psychological problems brewing that your date is sure to notice. Even if Mom and Dad are that annoying, try to hide it from your date (at least for the first few dates!).
7. My Other Date Ran Over Time: Play on, player! There is such a thing as being too honest, and this is one of those times when honesty is not the best policy. Even if this is true and not an excuse, try to avoid disclosing your promiscuity on the first date. On second thought, maybe it’s best that you get it out there so that your date can run for the hills.
8. I Overslept: This might be the lamest excuse of them all. First off, it’s highly unlikely that your date is scheduled for 7 a.m. on a weekday. Second, assuming your date is in the evening, why are you asleep? Third, if you really did oversleep, is the date so unimportant that your beauty rest comes first? This is a terrible excuse to use for being late for a date.
9. I Forgot: Wow, agreeing to go on a date with you must have really been a truly life changing experience. So life changing that you instantly forgot all about it? Being so forgetful makes any kind of relationship seem like a frustrating undertaking. Even if this is true, you might want to come up with a better reason for being late then just forgetting that the date even existed.
10. I Thought You meant ___o’clock, not ___ o’clock: This may be one of the most common excuses but that doesn’t make it any less terrible. A date is a big deal. You show up on time for work, you show up on time to school, and you probably show up on time to get your hair cut. Why can’t you get the time right for a date with a potential significant other? One thing’s for sure &ndash use this excuse and that potential quickly disappears.